Posted on by admin
The construction industry, like everything else has evolved in the past 50 years. There have been a number of changes to people’s wants and needs, which has had an effect on the demands of the construction industry. Here at Leominster Construction we discuss the main changes in the construction industry between now and 50 years ago:
1. Technology: Technology has got to be one of the biggest factors which have had an impact on the construction industry. The increase in more advanced equipment has revolutionised the way we work. Gone are the days when everything was calculated by hand. The cost and amount of materials we need is now calculated by computers. If one detail is changed it used to mean hours or work, however now a simple click of a button and everything is recalculated for you.
2. Health and Safety: Although there were health and safety regulations put in place 50 years ago, it is nothing compared to what it is like now. Strict guidelines and procedures are put in place now to ensure the safety of employees as well as the customers. There is much more supervision on the matter of health and safety now that it is being properly policed.
3. Demand: There is much more of a demand for bespoke projects now, people want to be different and each business has its one unique requirements. They no longer want something similar to what everyone else has got, with the fast pace of society today, it is all about being different and standing out from the crowd in order to attract your customers. They also want things now. The rate at which buildings are now constructed is on a much quicker time scale than previously.
4. Skills: The skills that would have been needed in the construction industry 50 years ago would have been more manual based, although this is still true, some level of technology based skills are now needed. Construction companies also need to be more aware of things that may not have been there previously, such as many more electricity cables, gas and water pipes.
5. Qualifications: There is more of a weight on qualifications now then there was before. Tying in with skills, health and safety and technology, this is important to ensure that employees understand what they should be doing to keep in line with all of these things. The push for education is much more now than it was 50 years ago, especially in this industry as it is now a recognised skill.
The advancement of the construction industry has changed dramatically in in the last 50 years and we here at Leominster Construction have seen the majority of it. With over 40 years in the industry we have picked up many skills and have a wealth of experience and knowledge. For more information on our services call us today on 01568 612943.